Thursday, September 12, 2013

Blog Entry 2

    Food is an essential part of my day. Food dictates my mood and attitude for the day. Food has such a key role in my daily life without it i would do nothing. I often eat three meals a day. My day starts out with a heavy breakfast, a light breakfast gives me the energy to take on the morning and have a positive attitude for the day. On a normal day i eat lunch between noon and one p.m. My lunch helps me stay energetic in order to complete the tasks i have on that particular day. The meal i look forward to the most because of my mom's brilliant cooking skills is dinner. I usually eat dinner at seven p.m and i also enjoy it because it's when the whole family gathers. Dinner helps me finish the day on a positive note accompanied with desert sometimes. food can easily affect my mood for better or for worse.

  I eat almost everything except anything that contains chilli. For breakfast i usually have cereal, toast, and a fruit everyday of the week except Saturday. Mom always cooks a heavy breakfast on Saturdays. The Saturday breakfast usually has waffles or pancakes, sausages with peppers, bacon, eggs, and a fruit salad. I don't always eat lunch. When i eat lunch  i usually eat a full meal. I eat spaghetti, rice, potatoes, all cooked in a different fashion all the time. Sometimes lunch is the left-overs from dinner of the previous night. Mom usually prepares dinner unless she's too tired and decides to take out. Three times a week Mom cooks the staple food of my country, which is Zambia,Africa. The name of my country's staple food is Nshima. It's made out of cornmeal. On the days we don't eat Nshima, we eat meat, chicken, and fish all done in different ways. I often eat snacks in between meals. My favorite snacks are chocolate, candy bars, fruits, and chips. My favorite meals not home cooked are Chinese pork fried rice with sesame chicken, and of course the greatest invention in the fast food industry a quarter pounder with french fries and a shake. One of my favorite meals is spaghetti bolognese.One of the reasons i eat food from different cultures is because I've lived in four different countries.

   My mother is the only person who cooks in my house, and sadly the only one who knows how to do so. The males in my house spend little to no time in the kitchen. I am the only other person who ever cooks and the only thing i cook is breakfast. The only meal i eat with my family is dinner and Saturday breakfast, one of our traditions as a family. The closest help my mom has when it comes to cooking is when I help her with the shopping. We usually go shopping on Sundays after Church, we usually buy all the dairy needed for the week, then once every month we go to Costco to buy meats, chicken, etc. Every Sunday night dinner is dedicated to a meal from my country. Mom cooks a different traditional meal every Sunday night, it's one of the ways we try to stay in contact with our culture. The other special meals we have are on big holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. We usually eat more western food.

   One of the worst jobs and experiences of my life was when I worked at McDonald's for an abrupt three weeks. I worked both in the kitchen and as a cashier. The tasks i had to do were not very demanding but it was the conditions and treatment that caused me not to like the job. One of the primary reasons i disliked the job was the way managers treated employees beneath them. They often tormented me and my fellow workers to a point that would make me never want to go to or even look at a McDonald's restaurant. The managers often yelled at me if i didn't do something in a certain amount of time or if customer didn't get their order at a certain unrealistic time. We practically treated like machines. The customers were also a big problem. It was very rare to have a customer that was patient and wouldn't lash out for no particular reason. After three weeks i decided to quit and never at a fast food. I decided the pay wasn't worth the distress i went through daily, and as with most things in life why commit yourself to something that you totally resent.


   Food controls how i approach everyday of my life. The energy and attitude i have towards everything i do is dependent upon the amount food i have in my body. I often eat three meals a day along with some snacks. My mom is the only person who cooks in our house, unless i decide to take out and not eat home made food. I am very diverse in the kind of food eat due to the fact that i have lived in different countries with completely different cultures. I will never work in the fast food industry after the nightmare of an experience that was my three week stay at McDonald's. Food runs the world.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment